Founded by Harold Fleming in the late 1930's and incorporated on the 1st March 1946, Flemings Ropes and Twines Ltd has grown over the last 80 years by three generations of the Fleming family. Harold and Ruby Fleming started the business in the back garden of the family home in Grappenhall, Warrington. They built a rope walk to process used ropes which they had collected from docklands of England. Clean strands of twine were removed from the centre of used ropes and later used to make rope handles for ammunition boxes during the World War II. Harold progressively grew the business at two sites in the centre of Warrington; the Mersey and Howley Roperies, before his son Robert (Bob) relocated the business to a modern purpose-built factory in nearby Woolston during the 1960s. Bob Fleming was responsible for developing plastic manufacturing at our Woolston location when this material was still in it's early days. Our twine production changed over from natural fibre to plastic in 1967, making Flemings one of the first to achieve this in the United Kingdom. Bob invested a vast amount of energy into this work, designing and fabricating specialist machinery solutions, and developing operating procedures, a legacy which continues to benefit our clients today.